Most households do not consider the toxic cleaning chemicals they are using on a daily basis. Most of us are guilty of assuming these cleaning solutions are safe simply because they get the job done. While many of these household cleaners perform well in your home, they can have several harmful effects on one’s health. If you are looking to create a more natural and safe way of cleaning your home, you have come to the right place. We’re here to help you recognize harmful chemicals to avoid them.
These chemicals are found in several products beyond cleaning agents, including:
- Hair sprays
- Lubricating oils
Phthalates can produce issues with one’s reproductive health. Because of the harmful effects, four different kinds of phthalates have been banned in European countries. They include:
- Butylbenzyl phthalate
- Di(2-Ethylhexyl) phthalate
- Dibutyl phthalate
- Diisobutyl phthalate
Any kind of cleaning product that utilizes synthetic fragrances should be avoided at all costs. These synthetic fragrances are usually listed as “parfum.” Because of the toxic cleaning chemicals that make up these synthetic fragrances, the chances of an allergic reaction dramatically increase. Even if you do not have an allergic reaction, these fragrances are linked to diseases such as cancer and may even cause birth defects.
Traditionally used to soften water, phosphates can lead to excessive growth of algae in your water supply. Phosphates, similar to phthalates, are also commonly found in shampoos and hygienic products. Studies have shown that consuming or even inhaling phosphates is linked to cardiovascular disease and calcium deposits. Calcium deposits in the body are dangerous because they can harden the arteries in the heart.
When used, bleach can be very irritating to the lungs, skin, and eyes. Even worse, bleach has also been found to chemically burn human tissue.
After having inhaled bleach, one may experience the following symptoms:
- Skin rash
- Abdominal discomfort or vomiting
- Chest pain
The fumes in bleach are very potent. While bleach works to kill bacteria and microorganisms, it is dangerous to be exposed to bleach for too long.
Ammonia is a popular chemical in glass cleaners (Windex), all-purpose cleaners, oven cleaners, and toilet bowl cleaners. Ammonia is commonly found in households because it works to break down grease and grime, leaving surfaces streak-free. Although, with enough exposure to the toxic cleaning chemical, ammonia can lead to burning and irritation in the eyes, nose, throat, and respiratory tract. Exposure levels of exposure are found to cause blindness and lung damage.
One of the most heavily used chemicals in households, chlorine is found in:
- Laundry detergents
- Dishwashing detergents
- Mold and mildew removers
- Toilet bowl cleaners
Inhaling a large amount of chlorine can be rather toxic. Breathing in high levels of chlorine has caused pulmonary edema, a condition where fluids build up in the lungs. Additionally, exposure can also harm the skin and eyes.
Triclosan is a chlorinated organic compound with antibacterial and antifungal properties. Triclosan is often found in liquid soaps such as dishwashing detergents, hand soaps, and hand sanitizers.
Often, these antibacterial cleaning chemicals are known to cause the following:
- Eyes, skin, and lung irritation
- Kills antibiotics
- Disrupts hormones
- Can cause asthma when highly exposed
Instead of these antibacterial solutions, it is best to use softer soaps with shorter ingredient lists.
Some household cleaning products that could possibly contain formaldehyde include:
- Laundry detergent
- Liquid dish soap and detergents
- Bath soap
Formaldehyde is found to put household members at risk for cancer, anemia, and liver and kidney damage. Like many other toxic cleaning chemicals, it can irritate the skin, eyes, and lungs. Some people may experience more severe symptoms such as shortness of breath or skin rashes.
One common household product that contains sulfuric acid is drain cleaner. Most professionals will advise you not to use drain cleaners due to the damage they can have on your drains. But what many people do not know is that the sulfuric acid in these cleaning products can lead to severe skin burns. Sulfuric acid is also found to irritate the nose, eyes, and throats if one is exposed for too long.
Isothiazolinones consist of a group of biocides used as preservatives in cleaning products. This chemical has been used to replace parabens, but Isothiazolinones too, have harmful effects. The toxic cleaning chemical has been found to damage the nervous system, cause eczema, and have irritating effects.
Most isothiazolinones in cleaning products include:
Find Safe, Toxic Chemical-Free Products at Our Store
At Baron Chemical, we care about your natural cleaning efforts. We are fully stocked with cleaning products that are designed to meet everyone’s goals. Give us a call at (915) 533-1661 to learn more about the household-friendly products we offer.