People had made all kinds of predictions about the year 2020, but that the world would be hit with a pandemic of a novel coronavirus was not one of them. Sure, there are people today pointing out that we should have seen it coming, but the fact was that not many people did. This led to an unprecedented response that suddenly sees millions of Americans sheltering in place in their homes, following strong restrictions.
One of the things we’ve heard a lot about lately is the necessity of sanitizing our surroundings, including our homes and our places of business. Here at Baron Chemical, we know a thing or two about cleaning products and chemicals. So we thought we’d take a look at some pertinent information about disinfecting and the right type of chemicals to use.
Defining Basic Cleaning Terms
First things first, let’s take a look at some basic terms.
- Cleaning refers to the removal of germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces. It does not necessarily kill germs. It does, however, remove them and through this lowers the risk of spreading infection or bacteria.
- Disinfecting refers to using chemicals to kill germs on surfaces. The disinfecting in and of itself does not remove the germs on a surface but it does kill them. By cleaning a surface first and then disinfecting, you can ensure you’ve truly killed all the germs.
When it comes to routine cleaning and disinfecting of households, people can practice a number of habits in order to reduce all bacteria in their homes.
Practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces like:
- Light switches
- Computer keyboards
Using the right process of cleaning and disinfecting together can be the most powerful weapon against the spread of viruses and bacteria.
The Right Chemical — How to Disinfect Properly
Not every disinfectant is created equally. And although people often think that grabbing the most expensive or well-known brands is the right move, that’s not always the case either. It’s really all about the chemicals and what the product contains, as many generic brands can be just as effective as their pricier counterparts. The Environmental Protection Agency has lists of antimicrobial products effective against known pathogens.
It was no coincidence that many cleaning and disinfecting products flew off the shelves in mid-March. People understood that one way to protect themselves against the virus was to properly disinfect their homes and offices to ensure a clean environment.
The best cleaning products include:
- Clorox is the brand name for bleach cleaners, but there are plenty of bleach cleaners out there that will do the job just as good. Bleach refers to the generic name for an industrial cleaning product. The active ingredient in bleach is sodium hypochlorite, which is a derivative of salt. Interestingly enough, household bleach begins and ends as salt and water. It is effective against microorganisms like bacteria, molds, fungi, protozoa, algae, and more. These viruses are typically composed of particular proteins and protein strains, bleach is formulated to kill these proteins. The product causes the proteins to unfold and break apart, killing the microorganism.
Clorox is a phosphate-free bleach that kills 99.9% of germs. It’s relatively simple to use, as it is mixed with water (half a cup to the gallon) to create a trustworthy disinfecting solution.
- Multipurpose cleaners
- There are many multipurpose cleaners on the market. Some of the more popular brands might include products like Lysol and Mr. Clean. The active ingredient in Lysol, for example, is benzalkonium chloride and other active ingredients might include hydrogen peroxide and hypochlorous acid (which is found in bleach). Products like Lysol will be effective against 99.9% of bacteria plus tackling grease, grime, and mold at the same time. It’s why they call it multipurpose! At the same time, these products can also come with lovely fragrances that leave your home smelling of lavender or ocean breeze.
- Toilet cleaners
- While most people are not exactly putting their hands all over the toilet, keeping your toilet clean is still as important as anything else. You also want to ensure that you are frequently and properly disinfecting. Finding a toilet cleaner with some kind of bleach solution will ensure you are removing 99.9% of germs and clearing out any bacteria.
Stay Clean, Stay Healthy
There has been a lot more talk about cleaning and disinfecting with the coronavirus in our midst. Really, this has always been an important part of maintaining the health of you, your family, and your employees. At Baron Chemical, we offer high-grade industrial cleaning products for every occasion and every type of surface. Whether you are looking to clean a big warehouse floor or need some serious scrubbing in your home, we can help recommend the best product for the occasion.